God has many attributes, to name just a few……Holiness, righteousness, justice and love, all working in perfect harmony.
The attribute of love is the very essence of who and what God is. 1John 4:8 says the one who does not love does not know God, because God is love.
Most of us look at that and say, yep I got that, I love my neighbors and most everyone around me. I’m good, I can check that off the list.
God is love and 1 Corinthians 13:4-8 describes what love is. Read the following list of what love really is, be honest with yourself, how far down the list did you get before you put down your Bible, turned to God and said, I have a ways to go don’t I Father?
The list reads like this. Love is patient, kind, does not envy, does not boast. Love is not rude or self-seeking. Love is not easily angered and keeps no record of wrongs. Love does not delight in evil, and rejoices in truth. Love always protects, trusts, hopes and perseveres. Love never fails.
Can we honestly say that each and every day we love each and every person with that kind of love? The kind of love that is the essence of a God?
Just food for thought
………..and so I ride
Who is God?
I read something on Facebook that gave me food for thought. I read something to the effect of “Don’t just tell them what God can do for them, tell them who God is”.
Wow, that certainly is something to think about. How often do we tell others of the wonderful things that God can and will do for them but fail to tell them who God is? Think about it………… why would you turn your life over to a God you didn’t know?
Another reason that this is beneficial to me is when times are tough we tend to forget just who God is and what He is capable of.
I want to find out more about who God is!
I started at the beginning Genesis 1:1. I find it interesting that the Bible doesn’t attempt to prove that God exists, it assumes His existence from the start. The very first statement in the Bible says “In the beginning God created the heavens and earth.
• Isaiah 55:8-9- God does not think like us. Ours is not the last word on right or wrong, so don’t rely on our own understanding, rely on God.
• Romans 11:33-36, Proverbs 3: 19, 20– God is wisdom. God governs His creation with justice, love and power. We strive to gain wisdom in all we do, getting college education, work experience, life experience, not that any of that is bad…..but the wisdom we should be seeking with the same fervor is God’s wisdom.
• Psalm 50:21 lets us know that God is not like us.
• Psalm 90:4- God is not limited by time. Our world is a physical world with physical limitations. God dwells in the spiritual realm and is not limited by the same things we are. Time is irrelevant to God, He transcends Timex!
• 1 Corinthians 1:25- God is not dumb or weak…..”for the foolishness of God is wiser than man’s wisdom and the weakness of God is stronger than man’s strength.
• Psalm 145:18 – God is near and we can go to Him in truth. God wants us to talk to Him and He wants to be involved in all that we are and all that we do. He wants to know us and be known intimately. Sometimes I think we tend to want God to know us intimately so He can help us but we don’t make the same effort to get to know him intimately.
• Psalm 147:5- God is mighty in power, and His Unchanging Omniscient understanding has no limits. Think about this. God’s power, He spoke creation into existence, He fixes things for us on a prayer request if it is His will. I believe that He wants us to know of His power and to rely on it.
Just a few other characteristics of God. Keep in mind this list is by no means inclusive. No list could every contain the character of God.
Infinite- Romans 11:33
Good- Psalm 119:65-72
Love- 1 John 4: 7-10
Unchanging- Psalm 102:25-28
Just- Psalm 75:1-7
Holy- Revelation 4:8-11
Omniscient- Psalm 139:1-6
Merciful- Deuteronomy 4:29-31
Sovereign- 1 Chronicles: 29:11-13
Faithful- Psalm 89:1-8
Full of Grace- Ephesians 1: 5-8
Comforter- 2 Corinthians 1: 3-4
I do not know one other person with such an impressive list. I believe I shall follow God.
……………………and so I ride