Who is God?
I read something on Facebook that gave me food for thought. I read something to the effect of “Don’t just tell them what God can do for them, tell them who God is”.
Wow, that certainly is something to think about. How often do we tell others of the wonderful things that God can and will do for them but fail to tell them who God is? Think about it………… why would you turn your life over to a God you didn’t know?
Another reason that this is beneficial to me is when times are tough we tend to forget just who God is and what He is capable of.
I want to find out more about who God is!
I started at the beginning Genesis 1:1. I find it interesting that the Bible doesn’t attempt to prove that God exists, it assumes His existence from the start. The very first statement in the Bible says “In the beginning God created the heavens and earth.
• Isaiah 55:8-9- God does not think like us. Ours is not the last word on right or wrong, so don’t rely on our own understanding, rely on God.
• Romans 11:33-36, Proverbs 3: 19, 20– God is wisdom. God governs His creation with justice, love and power. We strive to gain wisdom in all we do, getting college education, work experience, life experience, not that any of that is bad…..but the wisdom we should be seeking with the same fervor is God’s wisdom.
• Psalm 50:21 lets us know that God is not like us.
• Psalm 90:4- God is not limited by time. Our world is a physical world with physical limitations. God dwells in the spiritual realm and is not limited by the same things we are. Time is irrelevant to God, He transcends Timex!
• 1 Corinthians 1:25- God is not dumb or weak…..”for the foolishness of God is wiser than man’s wisdom and the weakness of God is stronger than man’s strength.
• Psalm 145:18 – God is near and we can go to Him in truth. God wants us to talk to Him and He wants to be involved in all that we are and all that we do. He wants to know us and be known intimately. Sometimes I think we tend to want God to know us intimately so He can help us but we don’t make the same effort to get to know him intimately.
• Psalm 147:5- God is mighty in power, and His Unchanging Omniscient understanding has no limits. Think about this. God’s power, He spoke creation into existence, He fixes things for us on a prayer request if it is His will. I believe that He wants us to know of His power and to rely on it.
Just a few other characteristics of God. Keep in mind this list is by no means inclusive. No list could every contain the character of God.
Infinite- Romans 11:33
Good- Psalm 119:65-72
Love- 1 John 4: 7-10
Unchanging- Psalm 102:25-28
Just- Psalm 75:1-7
Holy- Revelation 4:8-11
Omniscient- Psalm 139:1-6
Merciful- Deuteronomy 4:29-31
Sovereign- 1 Chronicles: 29:11-13
Faithful- Psalm 89:1-8
Full of Grace- Ephesians 1: 5-8
Comforter- 2 Corinthians 1: 3-4
I do not know one other person with such an impressive list. I believe I shall follow God.